Monday, May 04, 2009

A Week With My Little Bro

The past week has just flown by. My little brother came to visit from Tucson last Saturday and left yesterday. I haven't seen him in several years and it was great to be able to spend some time with him.

He was hit by a drunk driver a couple years ago and lost his leg. He's lucky to be alive, really, and is handling his disability well. If I've learned nothing else from him, losing a limb is not the end of the world. It's a lot of work, but you can get around well enough to enjoy a fulfilling life afterwards. I always regretted not being able to come visit while he was in a coma following the accident, and I'm glad I did get to see him now.

The funny thing about siblings is how much like you they can be, but at the same time, so much different. He's living a different life, having no kids and being single, so we really don't have a whole lot in common. We both like some of the same geeky things that I turned him onto as a kid, like comics (we watched the Wolverine movie on Friday), video games, and computing.

I'm glad we did get a chance to spend some time together. It just flew by and he had to visit grandma and our uncle and cousins, so I didn't monopolize his time, as much as I wanted to. I took off work for most of the week and still didn't seem like there was enough time.

I'm afraid I may have fueled the gaming addiction with him, though. We both played some Battlefield: Bad Company and Frontlines: Fuel of War and he ended up buying them before leaving so he'd have them when he got home. He'd never played online with his 360 before, but purchased a Live membership so he can play when he gets home. If nothing else, we can play together and catch up, which we haven't really done on a regular basis before. I usually talk to my dad every couple of weeks, but only spoke to him once every few months. I can't wait to see what he comes up with for his gamertag and get a friend invite from him. Love ya, bro. See you online soon.

 

0 Comments: