Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Stimulus Bill and Health Care

The stimulus bill and its effect on health care was a big topic by some of my family members over the weekend. Unfortunately, some of them rely on emails that quote no sources as factual. I won't rant on it, but it really drives me nuts to have to hold my tongue when this misinformation is being spewed. I guess civility and maintaining a good relationship with the in-laws is preferable. Per this article from the New York Times, I feel much more comfortable with the proposals that will soon be signed into law. Basically, there will be a committee to review effectiveness of different treatments and compile measurable results of which treatments are effective and which are wastes of resources.

This is done in almost any other industry, and it's beyond time to have it done in health care. I always question why my doctor writes a particular prescription over another. It's no secret that pharmaceutical companies send reps to visit doctors and offer incentives for them to prescribe their products. It makes me wonder if I am being prescribed a particular type of antibiotic because it's better, or if it's because my doctor is trying to accumulate airline miles or get a new set of golf clubs. At least with this in place, the doctor will have access to unbiased results and can compare which medicines are the most effective for a given condition.  

0 Comments: